Victor Prouve (1858-1943) began his artistic career in 1873 at the School of Drawing and Sculpture in Nancy with Théodore-Louis Devilly. In 1877 he switched to Alexander Cabanel at the École des Beaux-Art in Paris, where he studied until 1882. He then stays in Paris. Two longer trips to Tunisia followed in 1888 and 1890. In 1901 he became a co-founder and member of the governing committee of the École de Nancy. A year later he moved back completely to his homeland, succeeded his friend Émile Gallé as president of the École de Nancy in 1904 and was elected to the city council for the arts department in 1912. During the Second World War, he mainly lived in Carnaca, Breton, which he had previously chosen as his travel destination. From 1919 to 1940 he was director of the École des Beaux-Art in Nancy. Prouve received several awards, including 1895 knight, 1925 officer and 1937 commander of the Legion of Honor.
Prouve is known for its colorful and cheerful representations, including the beach landscape. With just a few colors, it outlines the beach, on which the blue to purple waves break. A light brown stripe can be seen on the horizon and denotes a headland. The cloudy sky appears soft purple and creates the typical beach atmosphere.